Thursday 2 April 2015

BACKUP - PLAN B


Lot of things were going in my mind for few days after getting the idea. I don’t know anything about how to run a business, who will be potential clients, how much they will pay me for this, and all. But, the fiercest thoughts were what if things don’t work out? What will I do then? What is my backup plan? Yes, I was going to complete engineering, but I needed to convince my parents that I could do this; but they were going ask me, what if you can’t? One thing was clear to me that there was no way I wanted to go in engineering field, but no one knows whether it was going to work or not. There has been nothing of this kind before. Yes, there are palm readers, face readers, but smile readers? How people will be reacting.

After thinking a lot, I decided that I will find a solution where this idea won’t fail and I don’t need backup plan then. I love reading, so I started collecting books which would guide me to find a way. I wanted to know how they plant new ideas in people’s mind and do business successfully. I was watching Oprah Winfrey’s 2008 Stanford Commencement Speech. In the speech, she mentioned a book by Dan Pink, ‘A Whole New Mind – Why Right Brainers Will Rule The Future’. So I started read that book. In the book, he explained why a new mind will be lead the 21st century, how we are transforming from information age to conceptual age. I could relate it with me. It seemed that that book had been written for me. It gave me confidence that I can rule the future, because the things I was doing were right brained things like pattern recognition, being intuitive, creative, imaginative, big picture oriented thinking, etc. The book convinced me that I was on the right path.

But, the mind. It was telling me that this is not my cup of tea. It was a big risk, a gamble, no one do that. People don’t even know what you do. When some uncle or relatives will ask you what do you do, what will you say? They will not understand. Do a job and do this part time. Don’t gamble with your life and lot more thoughts were haunting my mind. It was saying to have a backup plan is reasonable and mature. Don’t be a kid. You have to take responsibility and get a real job. Keep this idea as a Plan-B. It’s safe and secure. Once you fail in this, then it will be harder for you to take a U-turn.

I told some of my friends that I was planning to do the full-time business. They were happy that I was having some balls, I was taking brave decisions, some were thinking that I’ve gone crazy, but many were like great, dude, work for yourself, don’t work for others, you’ll have freedom. But, in my mind, I wasn’t so sure after reading the book and encouragement from my friends. After all, everything seems fascinating from outside, but the real taste can be known when we actually get into the arena. So, I was thinking about having a backup plan. But, sometimes I thought that why to work for others, if I have my own dreams that make me happy; and plan-B may distract plan-A. But what’s the plan-A here? Honestly, I was confused when I started this about reality. 

Some insights from this phase:

1. It only gets harder when we think about living on our terms.

2. Difficult things make us stronger and more creative.

What Do you think, should we have a backup plan??

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This post is also a part of Ultimate Blog Challenge and A to Z Challenge
Today's letter is 'B'.


----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
To know more about yourself from your smile, send me photo of your smile. I respect your privacy, so I assure you that your identity will not be revealed anywhere. And this service is absolutely free!!
Email Id. - iwantsmileforme@gmail.com
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(Image courtesy of Stuart Miles at FreeDigitalPhotos.net)

No comments:

Post a Comment